Saturday 12 April 2014

Corfu, the greenest of them all

Saturday April 12, Corfu
Mostly sunny  19 °C


Welcome my fellow traveler,

welcome to the greenest island of Greece!

Walking home today, after shopping for groceries







Wild flowers 
I safely arrived yesterday with Ryanair, at 8 in the afternoon, just on time to see Corfu Town under the setting sun.

The tourist tour, that my mother takes when someone just arrives with the plane, takes you along the city's sights and ends of course at home.

There our cute little dog, Samson, started running around me like crazy, making funny little noises out of shear happiness. No human can make you feel so welcomed, so missed, so good to be back!

My cat Arya came too, craving for my attention. She climbed on my shoulder, not wanting to leave me out of her sight!

After a few hours with my parents, I went to the small guesthouse and slept straight away.






The morning came and I woke to a bright sun and an almost totally clear sky. After a cup of coffee and breakfast, I went with my mother to see a few friends and buy groceries.

Upon our return, I made these photo's. Along the main road there is a small patch of land where our olive trees stand. These trees give us enough olive oil for a two years. Their olives are small but full of taste. Under the trees lies a natural garden full various indigenous plants that now have beautiful flowers. Some years this garden surprises us with a new flower or herb that some bird or wind has brought our way.





Old pine tree
This pine-cone tree is over 200 years old. My great-great grandfather planted it and used it to divide the land for his children. They used this tree as reference to divide their land for their children and our family will continue doing so as long as this tree stands. In the warm summer days, the pine nuts that fell would be gathered by me and my best friend. We then crack them open with a stone and eat them. They were always fresh, soft and oh.... so tasty!

This tree is taller than a building with two floors. An uncle of mine had once climbed it, to remove a dead branch!





Here some pictures from Casa Lucia, where we went this afternoon for Tai Chi 




The garden where we do Tai Chi

Two cottages where you can stay 




Paschalia





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.